Emergency Medical Responder
Emergency Medical Responder Program
Public Notice Announcement:
As of January 1, 2019, the length of the EMR program has changed to 240 hours. Delivery of this program means that every approved school must be compliant with the standards mandated by the Alberta College of Paramedics. Breath for Life has implemented these standards and either meets or exceeds ACP’s program expectations. Breath for Life has endeavored to keep the cost of this program competitively priced and after doing a cost analysis, Breath for Life’s cost on this program out-competes the cost of most other programs in the province. Breath for Life has offered the EMR program to the Northern Alberta region since 2007 and is committed to delivering quality education. Students taking this course will be prepared for provincial testing by engaging in academic and practical learning to become a registered EMR. This is achieved by providing a thorough knowledge and practical foundation which also prepares the student for further EMS training. By taking this course with Breath for Life, you will experience a supportive, knowledgeable and experienced team who will help you in your learning.
- A proven track record of success when writing the ACP registration exams
- This course is transferable to an ACP approved PCP program
- A National Red Cross EMR e-card is available
- A OH&S recognized Advanced First Aid e-card is available
- A Psychological First Aid certificate
- A BLS certificate
- Bus Access in Front of Breath for Life’s School: Bus 70
- Spacious classroom and practice area
- Knowledgeable, committed and experienced instructors
- A hands-on/practical approach
- Ample practice time to develop your confidence
- Free Parking
EMR Entry Requirements:
The Alberta College of Paramedics mandates that all EMR schools comply with the entry requirements detailed in the syllabus.
After reading the syllabus and the rest of this webpage; if you have any further questions please email the Program Director: email@example.com
EMR Core Course Details
- Time: 8:00 – 5:00 pm
- Duration: 17 Days
- EMR Fees :
- Application fee: $125.00+ GST (Due when you register online)
- Materials fee: $225.00 + GST
- Your textbook/manual will be provided on the first day of the EMR Core Course with the collection of the materials fee.
- EMR Core Course Tuition fee: $2000.00 (Note: This cost is GST exempt)
- $500.00 registration fee is required upon registering into the EMR Core Course
- $1500.00 tuition balance is due on the first day of the EMR Core Course
- Package Deal:
- The Psychological First Aid and BLS Provider Courses are discounted and offered as a package deal: $150.00. (Due on the first day of the course).
- Standard First Aid
- This course is a prerequisite and must be taken to receive the 240 Hour EMR Program Certificate
- If you already have SFA certification through the Canadian Red Cross, the Heart and Stroke or St. John’s Ambulance, and your certificate is current, within one year of taking the course, please scan and send this to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you don’t have certification you must take it through Breath for Life by registering online: Standard First Aid/CPR-C
- Total Cost:
- Total Cost of the EMR Core Course including materials/admin fees and the package deal: $2500.00 (applicable taxes extra). This price does not include Standard First Aid, the ITLS course or the Driver’s Education course.
- Funding: Breath for Life’s EMR course is considered a part-time program (less than 12 weeks in duration). Although Breath for Life’s EMR Course is approved by Alberta Education, loans and grants through Alberta Student Aid do not qualify to cover tuition.
- Registration Process:
- Online registration is required, you may also visit the office at 4443 – 99 Street or email email@example.com
- To register into the EMR course you must complete and sign the Alberta Student Enrolment Contract for Licensed Vocational Training. When you have signed the form please scan or mail to Breath for Life. When this has been completed you must demonstrate that you have fulfilled the pre-requisites for this course. You may scan and email these documents. When these requirements are fulfilled, you may register online.
Additional Requirements of the 240 Hr EMR Course Include:
- International Trauma Life Support (post-requisite)
- This course may be taken through one of the Approved Alberta Providers
- Fees payable to provider of choice
- 40 Hour Driver Training Course
- Fees payable to provider of choice
- You may take the Driver Ed course through any ACP approved provider: CTEC, Keyano College, Western Institute
- The ITLS course and the 40 Hour Driver Training Course should be completed within 6 months of the EMR Core Course.
- Proof of certification must be provided to achieve the 240 hour EMR Certificate
On Successful Completion of the EMR 240 Hour Program you will receive:
- An ACP approved Breath for Life 240 Hr EMR Certificate and one official Transcript. A second transcript will be mailed to the Alberta College of Paramedics on your behalf.
- A Standard First Aid Certificate if you are required to take this course
- A Psychological First Aid Certificate
- A BLS certificate
- An ITLS certificate from a provider of your choice
- A Driver Training Certificate: provider of choice
Note: Breath for Life has endeavored to post course dates that correspond with ACP’s exam schedule.
Emergency Medical Responder Dates
Feb 10 - 15, 18 - 22, 24 - 29 Inclusive
8 AM -5 PM
Breath for Life’s Training Facility
4443 - 99 St T6E 5B6 • MAP
Accepted Payment Methods
- Very knowledgeable staff, great environment.
- Excellent teachings. Alot to learn. Thank you for your patience.
- Great service would recommend to others. Learned a lot great instructors.
- Excellent presentation, breath of knowledge, professional, grabbed interest of the class.
- Job well done.
- Great group of instructors.
- Very impressed with the level of knowledge and clear delivery. Well structured.
- Keep doing what you’re doing.
- 110% guys. Awesome class. Best instructors – hands down.
- Excellent course.
- I really loved all the teachers, the answered my questions with full responses. When I needed extra help they gave it to me.
- I was overwhelmed by the information but with well-spoken, knowledgeable teachers I was able to understand and grasp everything. Thank you.
- Everything was great.
- I thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it.
- Very good teaching skills which helped with learning.
- Everything was good.
- Keep doing what you’re doing to inspire others. Very informative course and would recommend to any first responder
- This is the most in depth course I’ve been in and I don’t believe I would change anything because of how great it is. Thanks for the course everyone at Breath for Life.
- Course was great! Friendly staff and good facilities.
- Keep up the great work!
- Alfred is very precise on the tools he uses for teaching; helps understanding anatomy a lot easier.
- I enjoyed this course. Instructors were great! Thank you!
- Really enjoyed the course, was over-whelming at first with all the information but got more relaxed as the course progressed.
- Awesome course!
- I would 100% recommend to a friend! I loved the pace and teaching style! Thanks guys 🙂
- Great course! Excellent interaction with the entire class. Enjoyable. 10/10! Thank you very much!!
- Excellent program. Excellent