Breath for Life Program Syllabus:
The following outlines the 240 hour EMR Program approved by the Alberta College of Paramedics.
The entry requirements are:
- 18 years of age or older
- English 30
- Math 10 or higher
- Biology 30 or equivalent
- Equivalencies will be reviewed and considered
- Driver’s license – Class 5 GDL removed
- Standard First Aid Level C CPR (must be current within 3 years: not expired)
- Must be taken through one of the following national providers: Canadian Red Cross, St. John’s Ambulance or Heart and Stroke. Breath for Life will not accept certificates from private companies as per the Alberta College of Paramedics.
- Breath for Life provides the Standard First Aid Level C CPR course through the Canadian Red Cross. It is highly recommended that you take this course with Breath for Life.
- This course counts as 16 hours towards the 240 Hour EMR Program
The registrant must provide proof of the above and a copy will be retained for the student’s record.
- Group Assignment worth: 5%
- Personal Reflection worth: 10%
- Legislation Presentation worth: 5%
- Patient Engagement: 4 assessments and write-ups worth 5% each (total course weight of 20%)
- Midterm Exam worth: 15%
- Final Scenario: 20% of overall mark; must achieve better than 80% to write the final exam.
- Final Exam: represents 25% of the overall mark; must achieve a 75% to pass the course.
- 8:00 – 5:00 PM
- The EMR 240 hour Program is designed to meet or exceed the requirements of the Alberta College of Paramedics.
- To empower the student with critical thinking skills to manage practice challenges
- To prepare the student for success when writing the ACP provincial examinations
- To achieve a thorough understanding of scope of practice guidelines
- To build confidence through training and practice so that the practitioner may demonstrate competence during patient contact.
- Professional conduct
- Appropriate attire
- Commitment to learning
- Attendance is mandatory
- When a student has successfully completed all of the requirements of the 240 Hour EMR Program they will receive:
- A Breath for Life Certificate: ACP approved for Alberta only, and
- Two Transcripts
- Students have the option of purchasing a Canadian Red Cross EMR National Certificate and a Canadian Red Cross Advanced National First Aid Certificate (approved by OH&S).
The EMR Core Course Topics Includes:
- EMS Operations
- Well Being
- Critical Decision Making
- Scene and Patient Assessment
- Pathophysiology: medical and injury management
- Thermal Stress
- Substance Misuse and Abuse
- Labor and Delivery
- Physical and Mental Health
- Reaching and Moving
- Lifting Program: Body Mechanics
- High quality CPR – BLS Provider
- Patient Engagement Practicum